Carrot Cake is typically eaten for Easter even though there is no reason not to be eaten whenever.
It is super easy to make and all you need are carrots and few basic ingredients.
If you feel creative, you can enrich your carrot cake with some citrus zest (lemon, orange, mandarina…), your favorite dry fruits and nuts (raisings, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios… ), even chocolate chips if you wish so.
It can be done with or without frosting (without it would be a healthier option but with frosting it makes it a super tasty)
You can bring it to the advanced levels making it in a form of layered cake or keep it simple using a loaf mold or cupcakes molds + some delicious frosting on top.
This recipe is more on a simple side – things can hardly go wrong.
You will have your perfect carrot cake it about an hour and without so much drama in the kitchen.
Carrot Cake (with Orange Zest)
For The Cake
- 200 g brown sugar - (or white)
- 170 ml vegetable oil
- 60 g yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 g grated carrots
- zest of 1 orange - (finely chopped)
- 25 g mixed nuts - (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistacio, raisings...)
- 30 ml black rum - (can be omitted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 230 g cream cheese - (Mascarpone, Philadelphia...)
- 115 g butter
- 180 g powdered sugar - (or more for thicker frosting)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp rose water - (or other favourite aroma)
For the Cake
- Combine sugar and oil
- Beat in the yogurt and combine all
- Add eggs, vanilla extract and rum
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet ones (combine the ingredients of both bowls) and combine them with a spatula (do not overmix)
- Fold in carrots, orange zest and mix of nuts
- Place the batter in a baking dish lined with baking paper (I prefer using a small loaf mold 20 x 8 cm)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºC for some 30 - 35 minutes
- After 25 min of baking check it by placing a toothpick or the knife all the way through the cake - if it comes out wet and sticky it still needs some baking
- If you want it moist and chewy 30 min or less would be enough. If you want it spongy and dry go over 30 minutes
For the Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter
- Add powdered sugar and keep mixing with an electric mixer
- Add heavy cream, rose water (or other aroma) and pinch of salt
- Keep mixing until you get thick and creamy frosting.
- If you want it ticker, add some more powdered sugar
- Spread the frosting all over the top of the cake and decorate with some grated carrots and coconut (optional)
- Adjust baking time according to your taste:
- If you like it more airy and light - bake it longer (35 minutes or more)
- If you like it more moist and dense - shorter baking time (30 minutes or less)
- You can serve it with cream-cheese frosting and some grated carrot and coconut on top or without any frosting
This carrot cake recipe is great for those occasions when you don´t feel like putting a big effort but you really want a tasty result.
Also, a great opportunity for experimenting – try adding whatever you like into the batter – it can be anything from fruit (dry or fresh), nuts, chocolate chips, different aromas…
As long as you stick to the base ingredients (flour, oil, sugar, eggs and carrots) you will hardly go wrong by adding some additional ingredients on your own.
- DO YOU USUALLY MAKE CARROT CAKE FOR EASTER? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS CARROT CAKE WITH ORANGE ZEST RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJA ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #TANGOANDRAKIJA
⇣⇣⇣⇣IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN IT⇣⇣⇣⇣