Chicken Ceviche is a variation of traditional Peruvian fish ceviche – which is basically composed of a raw fish marinated in lemon juice with onions and chili peppers. This recipe uses more les similar logic when it comes to marinating part but the main ingredient – fish is replaced with chicken. In this case the chicken is not eaten raw of course.
Even thought it`s not the original way of serving it, we like to present it in a form of a four-layer cake: potato pure layer, smashed avocado, layer of marinated chicken and a toping of chopped onions and herbs.
Chicken Ceviche: 4 Layers:
Potato Puree Layer:
This is the first layer, the one from the bottom. In Peruvian cuisine potato is always presents and this time won’t be the exception.
Avocado Puree Layer
Another classical of the peruvian dishes. In this case we combine it with potatoes. The idea is to make a little mattress of 2 purees for this main course.
Chicken Ceviche Layer
The most significant part of this main dish. On the top layer we will put abundant Chicken. The one ethat we have marinated and cooked at this point.
Topping of onions, herbs and cooked yellow pepper Layer
Finally we can move to decorate and make it look as beautiful as we can!
Chicken Ceviche - Spicy Peruvian Dish
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CEVICHE MARINADE
- 700 g Chicken (cut in very thin fillets)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 3 Garlic cloves (cut in halves)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp of Peruvian yellow pepper paste (aji amarillo)* can be replaced with some other spicy paste
- juice of 1 squeezed lemon
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO AND POTATO LAYERS
- 300 g Potato (cut in small pieces)
- 1 Avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp Green tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp Fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Full-fat milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATED CHICKEN
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 3 tbsp Peruvian yellow pepper paste (or some other spicy paste)
- 1 Fresh Peruvian yellow pepper cut in slices
- 1 tbsp Fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 Red onion (chopped)
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Pinch of salt, pepper, cumin (as per taste)
STEPS TO MARINATE THE CHICKEN
- Cut the chicken in thin fillets (the thinner the better)
- Place the chicken fillets together with the marinade ingredients in a bowl (or in a bigger plastic zip lock bag), close it and mix all the ingredients by shaking the bowl (bag). The chicken should be fully soaked in the marinade sauce.
- Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours (ideally overnight)
STEPS FOR PREPARING THE AVOCADO AND POTATO LAYERS
For the AVOCADO PUREE layer:
- Smash 1 whole avocado together with a juice of 1/2 lime, 1tsp of tabasco and coriander
For the POTATO PUREE layer:
- Boil potatoes in 1/2 l of water. Once they are cooked, drain the water and smash the potatoes adding a pinch of salt, pepper, 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of milk. Smash all together until it is homogeneous and smooth. Set apart.
- Once both avocado pure and potato pure are cooled down, start mounting the layers.
- For that use a ring molds. Set the mold down on a plate a start filling it with potato pure until 2/3 full. On the top of potato layer add the avocado puree and set aside and start cooking the marinated chicken.
STEPS FOR COOKING THE MARINATED CHICKEN
- Once the raw chicken is marinated in the ceviche sauce for minimum 2 hours (ideally longer), heat some oil in a large sauce pan and cook the chicken fillets only until sealed* (cook only from the outside leaving it uncooked from the inside so the meat keeps all the liquids). Set the chicken aside and keep cooking the vegetables
- Add the Peruvian yellow pepper paste and minced garlic to the heated sauce pan and cook for a minute or so
- Add 1 chopped onion (leaving 1/2 more onion for later) and fresh Peruvian yellow pepper cut in slices and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the onion gets almost transparent color
- Add the chicken fillets and stir it all well
- Add some salt, pepper and cumin seeds as per taste and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is tender and almost done
- Pour in the orange juice
- Add the remaining half of the chopped onions, some fresh coriander and parsley and cook for 2-3 more minutes
- Turn off the fire but keep stirring for a while to make sure all the ingredients are mixed well. Set aside
- When the cooking is done, we should mount the final layers on the top of potato and avocado layers.
- Remove the ring molds and place a layer of chicken (add 2 or 3 fillets depending on how big they are) on the top of potato and avocado layers.
- Add few spoons of the sauce where the chicken was cooking piling up some cooked Peruvian pepper slices and onion on the top
- Peruvian yellow pepper is originally called “pimiento amarillo peruano” in Spanish and it is one of the main ingredients of the Peruvian cuisine. It has mild spicy and very aromatic taste. Out of Latin America it could be found in a stores specialized in Latin American products or ordered online. In case you don’t have it, replace it with some other pepper.
- Peruvian yellow pepper paste (aji amarillo) is a paste made of above-mentioned Peruvian yellow pepper (pimiento amarillo peruano) – also used in most of the traditional Peruvian recipes. In case you cannot find it in your surrounding it can be found on Amazon or you can use some other spicy pepper paste.
- In case you replace the Peruvian yellow pepper and the paste with something similar, the taste will, of course, not be the same, but it will still be good
- In case you are not fan of too spicy food, put smaller quantities of the spicy ingredients (less Peruvian yellow pepper and less of the spicy paste)
Ta-da… Done! It’s not a quick dish but it`s a really tasty one. And the presentation really pretty.
We know that this is not the easiest dish to make however it’s delicious. Our suggestion is that you plan in advance. Make a list of ingredients and go to the grocery store. Once you are back prepare everything. Wash the vegetables, peel them, cut them, marinated the chiecken, etc. If you have everytihng prepare befoe turninng on the fire, it will be easier. You won’t have the need to be running all the time.
- DO YOU LIKE SPICY FOOD ? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE CHICKEN CEVICHE RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJA ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #TANGOANDRAKIJA
⇣⇣⇣⇣IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN IT⇣⇣⇣⇣