Easy Focaccia Bread was an early pandemic recipe. We love italian food and we also love bread. We didn’t have much to do. In addition if you don’t have the ingredients needed for a focaccia it means your kitchen is pretty empty. Basically you need water and flour.
Focaccia is one of typical Italian breads, done with basic ingredients – strong white flour, yeast and olive oil as unavoidable ingredient to any meal of the Mediterranean cuisines.
The most basic and one of the most traditional variations of the focaccia would be the simple one with olive oil and fresh rosemary on the top.
Easy Focaccia Bread during the time and different regional influences throughout the sunny Italy, traditional focaccia evolved into a whole variety of options – tomato, olives, oregano, thyme, cheese, onion…
It is all a matter of combining fresh vegetables, aromatic herbs and the main star of any focaccia recipe – a good olive oil.
This step-by-step recipe is super simple and quick way to make an easy focaccia bread – soft and spongy with a beautiful topping of cherry tomatoes & black olives and a nice, fresh and aromatic aroma of rosemary and oregano.
Easy Focaccia Bread
- 500 g strong white flour - + some for dusting
- 1 sachet dried yeast - (7g)
- 1 tsp salt - (table salt)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 300 ml lukewarm water
- some fresh rosemary - (for topping)
- some oregano - (for topping)
- 1 handfull of cherry tomatoes (cut in half) - (for topping)
- 1 handfull of black olives (cut in half) - (for topping)
- 1 tsp sea salt - (for topping)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) - (for topping)
- Place the flour, yeast and table salt in a large bowl
- Pour in water and the olive oil (4 tbsp.) and combine all with a spatula
- Once combined, knead the dough with your hands until smooth and soft (for some 5 - 8 minutes)
- If needed add some more water
- When the dough is smooth and non-sticky, put it back into the bowl, cover it with film paper and then with a kitchen cloth and leave it for 30 minutes or until it doubles the size
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough for few more minutes and roll it with a rolling pin making approx. 25x40 cm rectangle (double the length of your baking dish)
- Coat half of the dough with olive oil and fold the dough in half to get 25 x 20 cm rectangle.
- Slightly oil a baking tray (approx. 25 x 20 cm in size) with some olive oil and transfer the dough to the tray
- Cover the dough with a kitchen cloth and leave it for another 30 - 40 minutes to rise
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200ºC / gas 6 and prepare the topping
- For the topping - cut some cherry tomatoes and black olives in halves, prepare some sea salt, rosemary and oregano
- Use your fingers to poke the dough and put halves of the cherry tomatoes and olives into the holes
- Pour the remaining of the olive oil all over the dough and sprinkle with some rosemary, oregano and sea salt (we used Himalayan pink salt)
- Bake at 200ºC for 25 - 35 minutes or until it starts to get golden color
Easy Focaccia Bread conclusions
This easy Focaccia Bread is great for those sunny Sundays when you wake up feeling like travelling to Italy. Including eating their delicious food while roaming through the busy Rome, Venice, Milan…
… or after a lazy day on some beach somewhere in Sicily…
… but you realize you are stuck at your home. Without even a slightest possibility to fulfill that desire any time soon…
… because, you remember, it`s Corona-time and we cannot move from our houses.
… well, bake like they do it in Italy and keep daydreaming at least with a full stomach…
Because, everybody needs Italy in their lives – one way or another.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ITALIAN FOOD? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS EASY FOCACCIA BREAD RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJA ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #TANGOANDRAKIJA
⇣⇣⇣⇣IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN IT⇣⇣⇣⇣