Getting ready for the Christmas season and happy to share our favorite Gingerbread Cookies recipe.
We usually start the Christmas cooking season with these guys as they are the cutest, the tastiest and the prettiest winter cookies ever.
And, no matter how much you might like to experiment with something new, you just cannot skip making gingerbread cookies at least once during the month of December.
If you have kids, I am sure they will enjoy participating.
You can get creative and decorate your gingerbread cookies in so many ways.
They combine perfectly with hot chocolate, mulled wine, tea or coffee. You can eat them as a snack, for breakfast or in any other occasion. You can hardly find a person who doesn’t like them.
You can even decorate your Christmas tree with gingerbread cookies – looks & tastes delicious.
And it’s not difficult to make at all.
Gingerbread Cookies - Easy Recipe
- 145 g butter - (softened)
- 150 g brown sugar
- 150 g molasses - (can be replaced with honey)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 440 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk
- food coloring - (optional)
- In a large bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer
- Add sugar and molasses and beat all together until combined and creamy
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated
- In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg)
- Pour the wet ingredients mixture (the one with butter, egg, sugar and vanilla) into the dry ingredients mixture (the one with flour, baking soda and spices) and mix it well using a spatula (or with your hands)
- Kneed the dough few minutes with your hands and then, divide it in halves.
- Wrap tightly each half into a plastic film paper and press it down with your palms (until you make the form of disk)
- Chill in the fridge for minimum 2 hours (ideally overnight)
- Once the cookie dough disks spent some time in the fridge (from 2 to 24 hours), take out one disk and flour the working space and your hands
- Kneed the dough for few minutes with your hands and then roll it with the rolling pin
- Rolled cookie dough should be around 0,5 cm thick (or as thick as you like it)
- Cut into shapes
- Do the same with another cookie dough disk
- Place the cookies into a baking tray (lined with baking paper) 1-2 cm apart.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180ΒΊC for 5-8 minutes
- Once they are out of the oven, let them cool for 5 min before moving them
- Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tbsp. of milk (add more sugar/milk to reach desired consistency)
- You can add some food coloring if you wish so
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, apply the icing using a pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag)
- As for the spices - if you are not a big fan o ginger you can simply skip it - tastes good anyway
- If you don't like molasses aroma - can be replaced with honey - tastes a bit different but still yummyΒ
- As for the decoration - you can use icing, melted chocolate, powdered sugar on top, or even chocolate chips.Β I like adding some chocolate chips into the cookie dough
- Depending on how you like your gingerbread cookies, you can make them thin and bake them few minutes more to get dry, crunchy cookies, or
- You can make them thicker (approx 0,5 cm or more) and bake them for some 5 min so they come soft and chewy.Β
If you are as bad in icing as I am (or you, simply, just want your cookies to be done real quickly), you might want to look for an alternative to icing.
Adding chocolate chips into your cookie dough might not give them that perfect Christmas look but they will taste amazing. Also, you might want to dip them into melted chocolate – if you are chocolate fan, this may be even better idea than icing.
Anyway, stay assured they will taste absolutely amazing with or without decoration.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHRISTMAS DESSERT? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
- DID YOU MAKE THIS >GINGERBREAD COOKIES< RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJAΒ ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG ITΒ #TANGOANDRAKIJA
β£β£β£β£IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN ITβ£β£β£β£