Difficulty: easy | Preparation time: 60 min | Servings: 16 chapatis
Chapati is a type of flatbread typical for India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, East Africa, Pakistan, Bangladesh… In these countries it is usually eaten with curry, with some dip or chutney as a snack or as a side dish in addition to some gravy meal.
Chapati bread is maybe one of the easiest to make and it requires only basic ingredients – flour, salt, water and oil. It can be done with the all purpose flour, integral or with combination of these two.
And, there is no baking in the oven – it is all done in a pan.
HOME-MADE CHAPATI BREAD
- 225 gm Integral Flour
- 250 gm All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp Vegetable Oil
- 300 ml Hot Water
- Stir together the flours and salt in a large bowl
- Add oil and mix it all together with a wooden spoon or with your hands
- Add 250 ml of water (you might not need to use all 300 ml) and the reminding 50 ml keep adding little by little while kneading until you have a soft, elastic (but not sticky) dough.
- Flour the surface where you will be working
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball
- Flatten the balls slightly and then, roll them out with a rolling pin until they are between 15 and 20 cm of diameter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and grease it slightly with butter or olive oil
- Place chapati on a heated pan and cook it for about 20, 30 seconds (or until it gets the brown spots on the underside) and flip and cook it on the other side for 10 or 15 more seconds.
- Repeat the cooking process with all the chapatis while you are keeping covered the ones that are done.
We make chapati bread usually in combination with some other Indian dish – for example chicken curry & chapati makes it a great choice for lunch or dinner. As a breakfast or brunch option we like to combine chapati with Indian style masala omelette and a fresh yogurt raita dip.
- DO YOU LIKE INDIAN FOOD? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJA ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #TANGOANDRAKIJA
⇣⇣⇣⇣IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN IT⇣⇣⇣⇣