Amarettiย biscuitsย originaly come from Lombardy, Italy where they make them in several variations.ย
There is an interesting legend that says that, now famous cookie, was invented in early 18th century by a young couple who improvised in their kitchen when the local bishop visited their house unexpectedly.
Apparently, the bishop was more then pleased with the treat and that’s how Amaretti biscuits become famous.ย
The recipe remained secret for many, many generations… until the internet was invented and now we are all sharing it around.
The original recipe for Italian Amaretti Biscuits have changed and, nowadays we can even add matcha tea as an ingredient if we want so.
That, kind of, explains the concept of evolution and freedom of choice, but, what would Italians think about it?
Not sure if an average, traditional Italian would support the idea of altering the already prefect, traditional Amaretti biscuit by adding some green, Matcha tea powder that has nothing to do with it, but, if you ask as, we say “why not”!
Italian Amaretti Cookies (with Matcha)
- 200 g almond flour
- 175 g powdered sugar + some more for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp matcha tea powder - (optional)
- Whisk together almond flour, sugar, salt and matcha tea powder
- In another bowl whip egg whites with lemon juice to peaks
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients
- Add almond extract
- Stir all until incorporated (the dough should be sticky)
- Make small balls and roll them into powdered sugar
- Line the baking tray with the parchment paper and place the balls onto it
- Bake in preheated oven at 175ยบC for 15 to 20 min (or until cracked)
There are so many variation of Amaretti biscuits out there and, as with any other biscuit or cookie, you can get creative and just add your favorite secret ingredient to make it even more special.
Here are just some of the ideas:
For a chocolate touch you can add a spoon or two of cocoa powder instead of matcha tea.
If you like your biscuits slightly drunk – add Amaretto liqueur –ย almond theme matching and mood lifting ๐
For nice and fresh citrus aroma you can add some lemon or orange zest.
The options are endless!
Love biscuits? Also try our Lavender-Nut Cookies.ย
Looking for a refreshing and super-charming companion to your Amaretti Biscuits? Try our Lavender Lemonade.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ITALIAN DESSERT? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
- DID YOU MAKE THIS >Italian Amaretti Biscuits (with Matcha)< recipe?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJAย ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG ITย #TANGOANDRAKIJA
โฃโฃโฃโฃIF YOU LIKE IT, PIN ITโฃโฃโฃโฃ