Mulled wine is known in almost every place in the world where Christmas falls in winter and it’s, definitely, one of the best inventions ever.
It’s perfect for warming up and boosting the holiday spirit as well.
Mulled wine – Spanish style or Vino Caliente is very similar to the classic hot spiced red wine but with a touch of fresh citrus aroma.
It’s somewhat similar to sangria (but hot) plus all the spices and plus oranges (or other fruit as well) – they give it a truly special and fresh taste.Β
What I like about Mulled wine – Spanish style is that is not too strong – fresh orange juice and sliced orange really balances the strong red wine taste so, even if you are not a big fan of red wine, you will love this recipe.Β
Red wine is, generally, not our favorite but, we use to make mulled wine Spanish style several times during the holiday season and our guests always have a good feedback. So, we decided to share it.Β
This recipe is so simple and you can make it in literally no time – perfect for warming up you Christmas dinner party… or any other occasion.Β
Mulled wine - Spanish style (Vino Caliente)
- 1 l red wine
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- some cloves - (5 -10)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 anise stars
- few cardamom seeds - (optional)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 orange (cut in chunks)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup black rum - (or brandy)
- Put all the ingredients in a large sauce pan
- Cook on the medium fire for some 20 - 25 minutes (the wine should be simmering for minimum 10 minutes)
- Strain through a sieve before serving
- Add a cinnamon stick and orange slice to each glass as a garnish
- You can serve your mulled wine with or without orange chunks - as you prefer
- If you like more fruity taste you can add a lemon and/or an apple (cut into chunks) and cook it together with the wine. It will taste something like hot sangria.
- The spices are matter of personal taste so you can experiment with adding more or less of cloves, cinnamon, anise stars, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger...Β Β
If you love Spanish sangria – you are gonna love this Mulled Wine – Spanish Style as well.
And, if you are inviting friends or family over, this could be your perfect welcome drink – classic and thematic but with a hint of Spain in it. Who knows – maybe it gives you an idea of travelling to Spain – some pretty juicy oranges are growing there (among other things).
Now that you have your mulled wine ready, and sunny Spain on your mind,Β you are all set for a cozy winter night.
Looking for more winter/Christmas recipes?
Have you tried our Gingerbread Cookies Recipe? It is super quick to make and the cookies are absolutely delicious.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WINTER DRINK? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
- DID YOU MAKE THIS >MULLED WINE – SPANISH STYLE< RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJAΒ ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG ITΒ #TANGOANDRAKIJA
β£β£β£β£IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN ITβ£β£β£β£