If you are into Asian cuisine you have, probably, came across Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
Apparently, it is originally coming from Thailand even though it exists all around Asian countries.
We get to know it (and to love it) with the frequent Asian food deliveries (who isn’t).
During our trip to Vietnam, it was also something that we were seeing a lot and served with almost any food.
It’s sweet and spicy at the same time and, they serve it, normally, with spring rolls, all kinds of dumplings and fried foods.
We almost always have it in our kitchen and love to use it in so many occasions including adding a teaspoon or two when cooking soups, stir-fries or as a dip with any fried food.
We even use it as a thin layer of spread with some cream cheese on a slice of bread or crackers. It makes a perfect snack.
As we are getting luckier with our gardening project, we are stepping into autumn with a lot of fresh, home-grown, red hot chili peppers.
It’s gonna be a hell of a spicy season for us and we are opening it with this simple Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
If you like to spice up your food – this chili sauce is something you will want to have in your kitchen at all times.
You can use it as a sauce over your meat, as a dip for your chips or any fry food, bread spread or even add it to stews, soups and curries.
Without further delaying, here comes our home made version of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 6 chilies (chopped) - (some 20 g)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 lime - (squeezed juice)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 5 cherry tomatoes (chopped) - (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp cornstarch - dissolved in 3 tsp of water
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- Process in a blender chilies, garlic, cherry tomatoes and lime juice
- Add the processed mixture to the sauce pan and add rice vinegar, Soy sauce, sugar and water and cook on a medium fire some 5 minutes after it boils
- After some 5 minutes of cooking, add cornstarch (previously dissolved in 3 tsp of water)
- Stir well all and cook for some 2 to 5 minutes more
- * If you want your chili to be thicker (like a jam or marmalade consistency) cook few more minutes* In case you like it more liquid, cook less time and/or add some more water
- Normally, we use brown sugar but that gives a bit darker color to the sauce. You can use white sugar if you want it to have nice red color.ย
- If you would like your chili sauce to be thicker and have that jam consistence ,cook 5 minutes or more
- If you would like it to be more liquid, cook it less time and/or add some more water
- Take into account that you will see the exact consistence of the sauce only after is cooled down. It gets more firm and jelly as it is cooling down.
Apart from other uses, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce is, maybe, used the most as a dip with spring rolls.
If they are fried ones, you will get even better combo.
Looking for a spring rolls recipe too?
Take a look at our Vietnamese fried spring rolls recipe.ย
It’s a winning combination!
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SAUCE? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS >THAI SWEET CHILI SAUCE< RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJAย ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG ITย #TANGOANDRAKIJA
โฃโฃโฃโฃIF YOU LIKE IT, PIN ITโฃโฃโฃโฃ