Tres Leches or Three Milks Cake is traditional Mexican cake widely enjoyed not only in Mexico but all around Latin America.
It is a light sponge cake soaked in a mix of 3 milks – condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream.
The texture is light and spongy and being soaked in a sweet milky mixture makes it melt in your mouth while going straight to heaven.
I heard about this cake in many of Latin-American telenovelas that used to be popular in my country during my childhood and I remember the name ever since.
Some time ago I tried it for the first time in one Peruvian restaurant in Barcelona and I absolutely fall in love with it.
I decided to try it for the first next cake occasion and here it is – my first but, for sure not the last, Tres Leches – just like from one of those telenovelas I used to watch long ago.
Even though it was a first try, it come absolutely perfect. And that’s not just my personal opinion – my Mexican friends confirmed that the taste is really authentic and just as tasty as the real Mexican one.
This recipe is super easy and simple and can be done really quickly.
Tres Leches - Traditional Mexican Cake
For the Cake:
- 6 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Sauce
- 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 300 ml evaporated milk
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 400 ml whipped cream
- some cinnamon powder on the top
- some strawberries on the top or on the side
For the Cake Base
- Beat the eggs with sugar using electric mixer on high speed for about 7- 8 minutes
- When it triplicates the size, add vanilla extract and keep beating for another 1 minute
- Add flour together with baking powder little by little incorporating it into the mass with a spatula
- Combine all well until the mass is creamy and smooth
- Grease the baking dish with butter and pour in the mass (baking dish or pan should be around 22 - 30 cm long
- Preheat the oven on 180°C
- Bake the cake some 25 to 35 minutes (depending on the oven) from both sides
For the Sauce
- Mix together in a large bowl the 3 milks (condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream) and mix it with a spoon
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool down completely and then poke it with a toothpick all the way through the cake (around 1cm distance between the holes) so it can absorb the milk mix entirely
- Pour the 3 milks mix onto the cake little by little letting the cake absorb it as you pour the milk
- Once you poured all of the milk mixture, let it sit in the fridge for some 4 hours (ideally overnight)
- Whipped cream with some cinnamon powder, colorful sprinkles, and/or some strawberries or almond on the top or on the side of the cake
This traditional Mexican cake – Tres Leches is great for birthdays, celebrations or when you decide you need a cake – delicious and easy to make.
Even though you can make it really quickly, the taste will come to it’s best moment the day after.
Therefore, take a slice immediately (because you cannot resist obviously), then leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours… then take another slice (because why should you even try to resist)…and leave it overnight.
Take another slice immediately after waking up (because why not) with a cup of hot cappuccino and the day can start!
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CAKE? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS TRES LECHES – TRADITIONAL MEXICAN CAKE RECIPE?
- TAG @TANGO_AND_RAKIJA ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #TANGOANDRAKIJA
⇣⇣⇣⇣IF YOU LIKE IT, PIN IT⇣⇣⇣⇣